Today's Topic is Social Anxiety.
Every day life is filled with, Fear, Apprehension, Avoidance and pain.
As many others i often find myself worrying about others disapproval. I often find myself afraid of not fitting in. Being rejected by my peers. I'm constantly putting up a defensive wall.
Very few people understand the agonizing and traumatic depth that the social anxiety brings, it makes people try to protect their secret, most people try to hide it from friends and family. Often fearing that their loved ones will see them differently, or not fully understand what is truly going on.
An example of what its like to have social anxiety.
When I go grocery shopping I hate standing in line, I often feel like everyone is watching me, I know that its probably not true, as I get closer to the check out person, I find myself sweating a fidgety that this person is going to be concentrating on me. I'm scared that all that will come out of my mouth will be gibberish. my anxiety will go through the roof.
Unlike other psychological problems, social anxiety is not well understood by the general public, or even by medical and mental health care professionals. People with Social Anxiety are misdiagnosed almost 90% of the time, some people have often been misdiagnosed as having Schizophrenia, Manic-depressive, clinically depressed, panic disorder and/or personality disorder.
Social anxious people usually never hear of their disorder being talked about on television talk shows, they think that they are the only ones that have the symptoms, therefore making them quiet about what they are going through.
Here are some symptoms that might help you know if you do have Social Anxiety
1. Avoiding situations where you may feel like you are or will be the center of attention.
2. Worry about being embarrassed around your peers
3. Considerable fear of being in situations with strangers.
4. Excessive fear of being teased or criticized
5. Fear of being teased or criticized
6. Fear of being noticed as looking anxious
7. Fear of meeting people in authority
8. Fear of having panic attacks
9. Refraining from activities, fearing humiliation or embarrassment
Some Causes of Social Anxiety
1. Environmental Stress: Work pressure, personal relationship problems or even financial problems.
2. High Altitude: Hypoxia (lack of oxygen) can also be the trigger of Social anxiety.
3. Medical Illness: Anything that is causing anemia, asthma, infections... other conditions
4. Medication adverse Effects: Many drugs induce psychiatric problem as a side effect
5. Substance Abuse: Street drugs in general.
6. Negative Self Talk: Telling yourself that the worst is going to happen will cause you to believe that and your response to believing that is an automatic phenomenon
7. Being Abused: Victimization of a person by any means can leave him/her to suffer Social Anxiety